Wednesday, June 27, 2012

One-of-a-kind Father's Day Gifts

For the men in my life who have everything and need nothing, such as my beloved Pops and one-true-love husband, special occasions always tend to stump me.

This year, for Father's Day I went with one-of-a-kinders, kinda like they are themselves.



For my husband

Baby girl and I had a little photo session with her holding the letters spelling P-a-p-a.  Lesson of the day:  toddlers do not make for reliable still-life models.




The amusing part is that each letter had its own adventure, and the outtakes are hilarious - one got eaten, one got scrunched up, one got thrown across the room and the other got tossed into the pool.






For my Dad

Even though he long ago declared a moratorium on gift-receiving, I wanted to try my hand at word art with his most-used sayings.

My dad is quite the self-made businessman, and I've looked up to him all my life.  He now works with my brother-in-law, who has become quite taken/awed by my father's knack for coming up with just the right words at exactly the right time.  And sayings, he's got.

So, when my bro-in-law started writing this stuff down (the basis for a future book, perhaps?) I knew I had a great stash of phrases to work from.


I did this in Illustrator, trying to keep in mind the "rules" I'd read that there shouldn't be more than 4 fonts, and to keep the color mix to a minimum so you can actually make sense of what you're reading.

Note:  I formatted all the phrases for this 8x10 frame, then once it was printed I tried it and realized the opening is actually 7.5 x 9.5 (see that black border on the inside?).  Back to the drawing board as it now had to be completely reformatted in the smaller size.  While I was at it, I also left a white border around the text, so it wouldn't be too crowded.  Lesson learned:  Measure the opening of the frame before you create something custom to go inside it!

The good news?  Both Pops adored their gifts.  Yes!!

And because I knew my brotha-from-anotha-motha would love it too, I made him a print as well and he was very happy.  All in all, a good crafty day.

1 comment:

  1. omg, I LOVE the outtakes! They should make it into a frame of their own. Maybe for her wedding??

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts on this! Your email address will remain private.