Friday, March 29, 2013

Ugly-to-Nice 2: Everyday objects get a makeover


Welcome!

Here is a roundup of our latest ugly-to-nice projects.  This is where we take everyday objects and give them new life with paint and, sometimes, a little bit of craftiness.

Have a look at our first batch of projects right right here!





The Gold Fawn


This little porcelain guy was a yard sale find.  I just loved his silhouette, especially the ears.  Kitschy?  Sure.  But for 2 bucks, I knew he'd be a great-looking lil' fella in gold.  And so, with a few coats of matte gold spraypaint, he now lives in our bookshelves.

* * * 

The Found Ikea Kids' Table

Yep.  Found.  As in, at the end of somebody's driveway on garbage day.  Sturdy and clean, this kids' play-table and chair set from Ikea was begging for a makeover.  It had been painted blue and was  worn down.

To perk it up, first we tightened up all the bolts, then sanded and primed it.


(I heart using an airgun to paint)


Then, I offered it to my mother-in-law to use at her house when the kids come over.  As per her request I painted fuchsia chairs and a turquoise table.  It's pretty adorable!

* * * 

The Gold Bird

I always like things that have a story.  This handmade thrift store find has "Venezuela" carefully carved into it.  I can imagine someone bringing it home as a precious souvenir many years ago, and now they've outgrown the sentimentality they once attached to it.  Or perhaps the bird reminds them of someone they'd rather forget.  Or maybe it was a gift from their boss, and it felt unnecessary to keep the odd gifted bird after they moved on from their job.  There could be a million stories behind this bird.

Quite simply, I just liked its shape and the way it looks up at you, curious, happy.  That, and the swath of cobalt blue around its eyes, which is what caught my attention in the first place.

Nevertheless, here it is updated with some matte gold paint.

* * * 

The Wooden Highchair

I found this beauty at a gigantic community garage sale for $25.  (Oh boy, that's a day I look forward to all year!  - more on that here.)

This was pretty to begin with, so it's not really fitting of the ugly-to-nice nickname, but it did lack wow factor.  Cue the turquoise...

Again here, it required a sanding job first to lightly scuff the varnish.  Sanding is pretty boring and tedious but I've learned that if you skip this step and paint onto a smooth surface, your paint job will just flick off in no time, and be covered in nicks and scratches.  And then you have to do it all over again...  Now that's boring.

Here's the work-in-progress:

hand sanding...  snore.

My go-to paint combo.  Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra-cover primer and satin spray in Aqua.

Working all the angles...
* * *

The Littlest Step-Stool

This is the little step-stool that could.  We've had this in our family since I was a kid, and somehow it got passed down to me.  Not exactly a precious heirloom but let me tell you that at 5'3", I do use it almost every single day to reach things on the higher shelves of the kitchen cupboards.

However, not only was it nicked and grimy, it was also pretty ugly to begin with.  So naturally, I painted it turquoise so it would go well with other pieces on the main floor (which is open-concept with the kitchen).



* * *

The Crib Makeover



Read the story behind this project and how we did it here!  Crib Makeover

* * * 

The Gold-Dipped Writing Desk




Read the story behind this project and how we did it here!  Gold-Dipped Writing Desk Makeover

* * * 
 
The Baby Adirondack Chair





Read the story behind this project and how we did it here!   Redo Project: Baby Adirondack Chair

* * * 

The Ozen Sandwich Board

My hubby and his brother own an awesome restaurant called Ozen.  I'm always on the lookout for cool stuff we can make use of without breaking the bank, and came across this sandwich board that had gotten thrown away.  
I cleaned it up, repaired it and repainted it.  Now we can use this cool board to let people know what's new at the resto!




That's it for now, but we have lots more projects in the works so check back soon for Ugly to Nice 3!

Till next time, 

xo

6 comments:

  1. Greetings! I know this is kind of off topic but I was
    wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had problems with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    my web-site: Paving contractor MN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      We're on Blogger (aka Blogspot) which is free and offers a number of templates you can work with, that are customizable up to a point. It's powered by Google so if you use Gmail or Google+, you can access your blog and posts through your Google dashboard. Pretty cool.
      Hope this helps -- good luck!
      Val

      Delete
  2. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging
    on websites I stumbleupon on a daily basis. It will always be exciting to read
    through articles from other authors and practice a little something from
    other web sites.

    Visit my blog post: Asphalt Driveway Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your positive feedback!

      Delete
  3. This website truly has all of the information I wanted
    concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.

    Green Coffee Bean Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by and let me know! Lots more great articles to come, so do bookmark us and come back soon. Thanks!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts on this! Your email address will remain private.