Sunday, August 11, 2013

50 Great Ideas for Built-Ins



Hi there!

I adore built-ins and am always on the lookout for some cool ideas we can make ourselves.  I've been collecting lots of great ideas on Pinterest here and here and I thought I'd share some of them.

The good news is, you can make a whole wall of built-ins, sure, but many of these ideas are great for smaller spaces and nooks.  I tried to include some for many different areas of the home too.  Enjoy!



 

Bookcase & Shelving Wall Ideas



All White...

Before & After: Built ins
From Erin Vale Design




DIY BUILT IN SHELVES
As seen on All Natural and Good
Perfect #bookshelf #styling
Corner built-ins | via Mackenzie Horan


Basement Entertainment Center
Dreamy!  | via Sawdust Girl


And with color pops...
DIY floor-to-ceiling wall-to-wall bookshelves from Billy Bookcases
 Ikea Billy Bookcases @ Just a Girl

Light and neutral living room with a great striped rug.
Found at Rooms for Rent


White built-in media center backed with grasscloth, pink chinoise sofas, mik gray club chairs | Betsy Burnham
Beadboard chic found on Decor Pad
built-in bookcase
From Emily Clark

Daring dark...  Isn't this just so sophisticated? 

rich + dramatic - fab ceiling
via Houzz


This makes me think of my Dad, who had a dark chocolate-brown office when I was growing up.  It was so warm and classy, I loved going there.  I'm pretty sure the giant fishbowl of Peanut M&Ms wasn't part of that at all.

On another note, grasscloth wallpaper is one of my favorite things ever.  Look how pretty:
ahhh symmetry...  If your living room area is small, placing club chairs in a circle is a great way to utilize and maximize the space.
Via Houzz
I also love how each time I saw the photo above I assumed there was a fireplace in the center, but it's actually a piano!  It's the symmetry that makes walls like this have such huge impact...  not necessarily the item in the middle.  This opens up so many possibilities!

 

 

My DIY Built-In Bookcase Wall Is Finished!!  (Before  After)
With a wooden top | From Addicted 2 Decorating

 

Shelving Built Around Doors

 

"Slivers of Space Storage" - often overlooked areas of the house with storage possibilities
Seen in BHG


How to Build a Bookcase: Step-by-Step Woodworking Plans
Seen on Popular Mechanics


Bookcase surrounding a door
From Kelly Rae Roberts
A Defined Entry - I love built in bookcases!  This is a dream! #built_in #entry
As seen in BHG

 

 

Built-Ins Around Windows & Window Seats

Bookshelves and window seat. love it
From Artisan Custom Bookcases
Gorgeous Window Seat/lighting
From Visualize Us

You don't need to a have a giant window...  Check out how cozy this is:
love this- who cares if you don't have a bay window, make a window seat anyways!
Find the plans for this here at PlansNow

 

 

Dining Room & Kitchen Ideas

 

small kitchen built-ins | TerraCotta Properties
From Decor Pad

 

Love this petite styled built-in desk unit. Perfect for a small space!
Via BHG
built-in #bookcases
From Atlanta Homes Magazine

DIY Dining room built-in buffet. This blogger is one of the most AMAZING carpenters I have ever met. You should see the closet she built! @Sandra Pendle Powell {Sawdust Girl}
Seen on Sawdust Girl


 

Bedroom Ideas

 

Built-ins in the bedroom & space-saving wall lamps.
From Decor Pad

 

built-ins with desk & pinboard
From EM Design Interiors
#built-in bed and shelving, pull-out trundle bed or more storage -- want it!!
Built-in trundle bed, nightstand and shelves | From Houzz

 

 

Built-Ins for Closet Storage

 

These are tricked-out Ikea Pax units!


IKEA cabinets turned custom
From Ronces Reno Diary

Easy "Custom" Closet idea...add a few Ikea shelves and shower curtain rods!!
From Houzz

 

In the Home Office

 

A Stylish Home Office | Desk + French Doors
From Bright Bold & Beautiful

 

work area for kitchen w/ storage. would be nice to use for paying bills, etc
From Houzz

Here's a perfect little built-in desk nook:

This could work in a bedroom and double the size for two kids or two adults to have their own desks side by side.  DIY bookshelf desk
From Iowa Girl Eats
Corner Desks - his and hers. I LOVE THIS!
From Houzz


We totally want his-and-her desk space like this in our shared office.  It's on our to-do list!  They even have a little spot designated for the printer.  Man, they thought of everything!


Or how about this little space?  Using every square inch.  Genius.


corner home office nook.  yes.
  via Houzz.

 

Built-In Storage Benches

 

window seat + shutters
From BHG

McArthur Homes Blog - Utah Homes
From McArthur Homes

 


We made this built-in banquette storage bench for our dining room.  This room also incorporates some tricked-out Ikea Billy bookcases that we made faux built-ins with.  Check it out!


Made by Yours Truly, ZenShmen :)

spaces for #built_in benches
Via BHG

You can make a window-seat / bench from stock cabinets. (The ones that go over the fridge.)  Great idea!

Build a window seat from wall cabinets. Clever!
Learn how to make this on the DIY Network

 

 

 

Unconventional Built-In Storage Ideas

 

How about storage on and in the stairs!  So cool.


Cool staircase built-in shelving
From Open Deco (in Spanish)


How about a bookcase instead of open railing?  I love this idea:

{Bookshelf instead of open railing}
Via Houzz


under stair storage - great remodel project - so clever !
As seen on Stair Storage Co.

More unconventional ideas:

Making the most of a sliver of space.  This one's only 6 inches wide!

Got 6" of space? Create a sliding pantry!
Seen on I Heart Organizing



The best idea I've seen for camouflaging a basement support pole.

#Basement - shelves around support poles.  clever.
Shelves around basement support poles | via Sawdust Girl



How cool is this?  You can replace a regular door with a bookcase door:


Replace a closet door with a bookcase door.
From Hidden Passages

 

Dreamy Mudrooms


Come on, fess up:  do you also long for a big huge area you can turn into a proper mudroom?

diy mudroom lockers & bench
As seen on That's My Letter
Wow.  This one's great!


{A CHARMING NEST}: DIY
From The Charming Nest


Okay hold the phone -- I'm in love with this one below, made from two Hemnes Ikea TV consoles.

The bench is made from two Hemnes TV consoles from IKEA (about $150 each) and some pine boards, stained to make the wooden top complete tutorial
From The Charming Nest

 



Built-Ins for Playrooms, Hallways & More




#diy builtins
Source: That's My Letter

These are just perfect for a dead-end hallway.  They're also beautifully styled - it helps to have a few beautiful items and uncluttered open spaces.  Now I just need a collection of turquoise books...


Lovely #built-in shelves
From Loft & Cottage



Oh, how I heart these beautiful shelves.  I could stare at them all day.  And they have birds on them.  Do I even need to tell you how much I love birds?

cool geometric bookshelf
Via Michelle Workman Interiors



Okay fine, one last one.  These aren't built-ins, but they might as well be.  Swoon!

Blue glass + thrift store accessories - great space !
From BHG





If you enjoyed this post, you'll love what we're sharing between posts on social media! Please come join us to get DIY ideas, tips, home decor inspiration, organizing, kid-friendly ideas, and so much more.

   
 


Click on any of these icons.  See you there!

Val

18 comments:

  1. Wow, how fantastic. Made me want to totally remodel my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Glad you enjoyed! Makes me want to remodel too!

      Delete
  2. Hey very interesting blog!

    Feel frede to visit my website ... win pick 3 secrets revealed

    ReplyDelete
  3. When someone writes an piece of writing he/she keeps the image of a user in his/her
    brain that how a user can know it. So that's why this
    piece of writing is amazing. Thanks!

    Review my website; Clarisonic Mia Sonic Skin Cleansing System Wash brush Hope Fancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays.


    Feel free to surf to my web site siti web e-commerce

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up, I read your new stuff regularly. Your writing style is awesome, keep up
    the good work!

    Here is my homepage russian warez ()

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's up, after reading this amazing article i am too delighted to
    share my know-how here with friends.

    My web blog - article writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for finally writing about > "50 Great Ideas for Built-Ins" < Loved it!

    My site; zcode ystem review

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very descriptive blog, I liked that a lot. Will
    there be a part 2?

    Feel free to surf to my blog ... compare life insurance rates

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like reading through a post that will make
    men and women think. Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!


    my web-site ... Hostroute Promotional Codes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly think this web site needs a lot more attention.
    I'll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the information!


    Feel free to surf to my blog post: de paula

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on sites I
    stumbleupon everyday. It will always be exciting
    to read articles from other authors and use a little something from other websites.


    My web site :: Cheap Coach Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and
    now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the
    same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from
    that service? Cheers!

    Feel free to surf to my site; Nashville Internet Marketing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I'm sorry - I don't have direct access to that option since it was done on your end. Perhaps you can try locating the comment and seeing if you can opt-out of future notices. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Excellent goods from you, man. I have take note your stuff previous to and you're just extremely fantastic.
    I actually like what you've obtained right here, certainly like
    what you are saying and the way through which you assert it.
    You are making it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible.
    I can not wait to learn much more from you. This is actually a tremendous site.


    Look into my homepage furniture removals port elizabeth to cape town

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog
    platform are you using for this website? I'm getting tired of Wordpress
    because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform.
    I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction
    of a good platform.

    Feel free to visit my page btvsolo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been wanting to include built ins into my family living space for a while...this is just the incentive I needed to get started with my project. They're a beautiful way to turn an ordinary space into a lavish one. Thank you for compiling so many examples and ideas into one place and sharing it.
    -Amelia http://bargain-outlets.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia,

      thanks for sharing your thoughts! I completely agree that built-ins tend to elevate an ordinary space into something special. I'm so glad you found some inspiration here! Be well,

      Val

      Delete

Please share your thoughts on this! Your email address will remain private.