Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together

Hello!

Here's how we turned an outdated, rag-tag bunch of objects into a proper collection of holiday decorations that is much more pleasing to the eye!

I simply gathered them up and spray-painted them silver.




I'm not strict about the holiday colour scheme in our home (I inherited most of my tree ornaments & other goodies) so I've ended up with shades of blues, soft whites and silvers.  With pops of reds and pinks here and there, it all works out very nicely.

But these random things just looked so... old.  Each year, when I unpacked the boxes I thought, 'oh right.  This thing."  Unwilling to simply go out and buy new items, I decided to change it up.

Here are some before and afters.  What do you think?


Stocking hooks



Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca



Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca



These are booties from when I was a baby.  My mom hung onto them for many years and gave them to me, which was so sweet.  But truth be told I didn't really know what to do with them for many years. My daughter can't wear them, they're stiff and rock-hard.

So I thought, why not turn them into ornaments (hung by the laces) or mantel decorations?





Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca



Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca



Thriftstore Angel


Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca



Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca


Here are some of the items in action:


Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca



Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca



Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca



Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca



I was very excited to display our holiday decorations on our this gorgeous cedar mantle we made ourselves!  See how we did it right here in our DIY Fireplace Makeover post.



Using Paint to Make Holiday Decorations Come Together | ZenShmen | zenshmen.blogspot.ca


Happy holidays!


If you enjoyed this post, you'll love what we're sharing between posts on social media! Please come join us to get DIY ideas, tips, home decor inspiration, kid-friendly ideas, and so much more.

   
 


Click on any of these icons.  See you there!

Val

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts on this! Your email address will remain private.